28 June 2007

Chili

Originally posted 3/6/07

I love chili! I really, really love chili! I have fallen in love with chili, which is remarkable since I detest beans for being too squishy. That, and I am a huge wimp when it comes to spicy food. But I love the chili that I devised from a recipe from my husband's family. Here it is:

Judy's 0 Alarm Chili

Brown and drain 2# of burger (I always fudge this amount, it is often closer to 3#). Dump it in a really big kettle. (My dutch oven boiled over, but it fits with plenty of room in my 8-qt stockpot.) Sauté ½ large sweet onion and add it to the/ pot. Add the following to the pot:
minced garlic, probably ¼ cup
28 oz can diced tomatoes
29 oz can tomato sauce
40.5 oz can beans (I use kidney, but I bet that any kind would work)
1 Tbsp salt
2-3 twists of a peppermill
2 bay leaves
1 tsp chili powder (which can then be set on the table for those who want to liven up their own bowl)
4 oz can chiles
1 tsp oregano
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp allspice
Simmer this for a minimum of 1 hour, preferably at least 4 or 5 hours. Serve with whole grain brown rice that has been simmered for an hour or more in chicken broth and butter. Voilá! Taste the love! If there is any left over, it tastes even better reheated on the stovetop the next day.

No comments: